Bachelor of Arts (Mass Communication)
The full-time programme, revised from 2019-20, is spread over a period of three years and spaced out over six semesters. Benchmarked for quality and contemporary connect with the under graduate structures in apex Universities in the world, our programme incorporates lively theoretical lectures, hands-on practical sessions, tutorials, classroom presentations and take-home assignments. Furthermore, field trips, study tours, projects and an intensive internship structure help add to the depth of learning in the programme. A vibrant college and campus culture that encourages sporting & cultural events as well as club and association activities promotes in building leadership, camaraderie and competitive spirit. The following are the Programme Outcomes for the three-year full-time BA Mass Communication programme at Symbiosis Centre for Media and Communication (SCMC).
Programme Outcomes (B.A. Mass Communications)
The following are the Programme Outcomes for the three-year full-time BA Mass Communication programme at Symbiosis Centre for Media and Communication (SCMC). Students completing the programme should be able to:
1. Theoretical & Historical Perspectives: Understand and apply the concepts and theories in the areas of communication; and demonstrate an understanding of the history & evolution of media forms and the role of professionals/institutions in shaping communications
2. Effective Communication: Write correctly and clearly in forms and styles appropriate for the communications professions, audiences and purposes they serve by converting knowledge and experience learnt in the class room and simulated environments and apply to the real world situations
3. Diversity and Sustainability: Demonstrate an understanding of the diversity of peoples, regions, countries and cultures, ideas and opinions; and of the significance and impact of communications in addressing local/global issues related to environment, sustainability and resource management
4. Service & Development Orientation: Understand the communication needs of developing societies, develop empathy and understanding, and become the voice of underprivileged, voiceless communities
5. Problem Solving, Critical Thinking & Research: Apply their knowledge and understanding for complex problem solving in the real world; think critically, creatively and independently and conduct research relevant to the communications professions in which they work
6. Professionalism & Ethics: Understand and apply the principles and laws of freedom of speech and press; demonstrate an understanding of professional ethical principles in governance and management, and work professionally and ethically in pursuit of truth, accuracy and fairness
7. Technology Application: Apply modern tools and technologies relevant to various media and communications professions for purposes of production, creative design and research in both non-digital and digital communications world.
8. Leadership, Management & Teamwork: Develop leadership skills, business acumen, managerial skills and the ability to work effectively in teams for potential self-employment, entrepreneurship and/or to contribute to enhancing the productivity, efficiency and bottom-lines of organisations employing them
9. Lifelong Learning: Continuously knowledge and upgrade skills in accordance with the changing requirements of the media and communications domains; develop adaptability and the keenness to be a life-long learner
10. Values: Keep and enhance the core cultural and professional values of SIU in their daily work and lives while participating in the programme as well as in their future professional and personal lives
The B.A. (Mass Communication) three-year full time programme is structured as below:
The Foundation cluster is a set of essential courses required of all students, irrespective of their choice in major. Clearly aimed at providing a multidisciplinary perspective, the cluster primarily provides a sound base and transition into a more professional realm.
The Core interdisciplinary cluster is a set of common courses that have a high component of skills, professional inputs and inter-related content. The students in their second year have the option of taking up specializations in Media Communication or Communication Management.
The final year specialisation cluster is focused on specific professional areas that the student might want to choose in the course of his or her career. The Media Communication students can choose to specialize in Journalism or Audio-Visual Production and the Communication Management students may specialize in Advertising or Public Relations